Monday, January 25, 2010

Mitch is in;



Okay boys, here's my entry. Shot them under an old archway by the side of Dublin Castle; Geoff is putting together a new website and needed some portrait shots. We had to work quickly, as the staircase belongs to Dublin Castle, and therefore you are supposed to have a permit to shoot
there. I've had to get one of those permits on occasion, and believe me, it's a Kafka-esque labyrinth you have to negotiate; suffice to say, I didn't have a permit for this little job.
Pretty dark under there, which I liked for the stairs and the brickwork but not so much for Geoffs' delicate features, so I bunged an SB800 flash on a stand, with a shoot through brolly, and triggered it wireless from another Sb800 on the camera. Slid that stand in as close to Geoff as I could get while still keeping it out of frame and fired away on manual. Quick in, quick out. Just as we were packing up, plod stuck his head round the corner and did his jobsworth bit - "can't shoot here, this is state property" - I always want to come over all revolutionary in these situations ("the state is a construction of it's citizens" etc etc), but I've always found that the best response is to plead ignorance, say sorry, mate, but we're done now anyway and leave smiling.






















3 comments:

  1. Your best work to date!!
    WELL DONE MITCH.
    Great mod with your lighting, nice composition,
    job well done, you should be please.
    I would like to see more of this great work.

    Ian
    http://www.lifestylephotographic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the typos above, must learn how to write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the 3rd image. It's a real editorial portrait, made better by catching the guy off guard and mid laugh. Good simple lighting too. Like!

    ReplyDelete