Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Client's Choice versus My Choice

Hey chaps. I know it's been a while and this is only my second post. Or third, not sure.
So, I got a good call last week from DV8 Physical Theatre (we all know them) to shoot some pre-press photos for their new show. Basically they haven't made it yet but they're being hassled for press images now.
Naturally this is great news for me. Not just the job, but the prestige of the company and what it could lead to if I play it right.
The session went well enough. It was just meant to be basic rehearsal type stuff, which I was to shoot in a wood paneled (thought that had two "L's") room. I knew it would be dark so I took my Elinchrom and two strobes and hope for the best. Just as well, as Lloyd Newson wanted me to shoot repeatedly as the dancers worked through material. I've learned over time that I don't like working this way (and neither does Lloyd usually), but I rigged up and got on with it. To be fair, I did have the control to stop them and set up shots; but as time shortened and Lloyd changed his mind this became a looser affair and a bit of a numbers game. You know, shoot loads of shit and see what sticks.
All together it was actually ok and not as stressed as it sounds, and I wasn't going to bust my arse for the perfect poster shot, cos that wasn't the job.
Now....while shooting, Lloyd was using the limited light from my modeling lamp to take pics on his iphone, and I joked that we'd probably end up using his pics in the end.
Well not quite but as damned near as you'd guess. I replicated the shots he was doing, but with hard portrait light.
The end result has been that he's asked for one of those shots (fine by me) and asked me to make it look like the crappy phone shot (not so good).
So, here for you opinion is one of my choices against his. I'd like to ask them not to credit me, but that would seem rude and probably not help me capitalise on their name.
End of rant. Not asking for comments on the photos, just wanted to share with the group man!

1 comment:

  1. Actually, now I've got used to the bottom one I quite like it. Maybe it was just one of those days and lloyd knows what he's talking about after-all.

    ReplyDelete